Civil Engineering, the oldest non-military profession usually includes a variety of engineering specialities like structural engineering, transportation systems, fluid mechanics, water resources, geo-systems, environmental engineering etc. Civil Engineers work in a broad spectrum of engineering situations and find employment opportunities in both public and private sectors. Civil Engineers work with construction forms, manufacturing companies, power companies, the petroleum industry, mining concerns and with consulting engineerging firms. Many opportunities for civil engineering employment exist in district, provincial and federal engineering departments and in various agencies of the government. The Department of Civil Engineering has been established in 2014 at the Abasyn University Islamabad Campus. Currently this department offers program in BE in Civil Engineering. The Department is equipped and staffed to offer MS and PhD programs in Civil Engineering and its various specialities and sub-specialities in the near future.
PEC has granted permission to launch Civil Engineering from Fall 2014 Semester.
The main objective of this program is to provide quality education in the field of Civil Engineering for which the curriculum has been designed according to the HEC and PEC guidelines with the following objectives in mind:
- To impart state of the art knowledge to the students in the field of Civil Engineering and produce competent civil engineers who will play vital role in the national development
- To provide critical learning for a broad function in various areas of Civil Engineering, including structural, environmental, geotechnical, water resources and transportation engineering and construction management.
- To impress upon them the spirit of discipline, teach them the codes of ethics of engineering profession and impress upon them to follow it during their professsional life.
- To prepare graduate engineers to be competitive in both national and international market by inculcating the engineering and managerial skills.
The expected outcomes of this program are as below:
- The Civil Engineering Program provides the necessary technical skills in engineering design/analysis as well as mathematical and basic sciences consistent with Higher Education Commission (HEC) and Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) accreditation standards and national technological needs
- A Civil Engineering graduate would be able to undertake planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of urban and rural infrastructure by applying his/her knowledge in all stages of Civil Engineering and inter-disciplinary projects
A the Department of Civil Engineering at Abasyn University the method of instruction and learning environment comprises of the following
- Classroom lectures, duly supported by audio-visual aids, demonstrations and relevant handouts.
- Assignments and tutorials requiring use of reference materials and internet facility.
- Term projects and class presentations.
- Laboratory experiments, field work and design exercies.
- Instructional visits to appropriate establishments, installations, construction sites, field stations, industries, etc.
- Extension lectures and classroom discussions by renowned professionals.
- Enhanced use of modern computing facilities in the institution.
- The notebooks/ field books/ graphs and drawing sheets pertaining to the field work and practical should be completed within allocated time and submitted to the teacher. In case of field visits, the students shall be required to write a detailed visit report.
Civil Engineering labs
The University has established well equipped labs for the Department of Civil Engineering where well trained lab engineers and other technical staff is available to conduct the experimental training and research work in various specialities of civil engineering. Following labs are already functional to undertake lab classes of the program:
- Engineering materials testing and teaching lab
- Concrete and concrete materials lab
- Engineering mechanics lab
- Engineering survey lab
- Engineering drawing lab
- Computer programming and design lab
- Soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering lab
Following labs are to be made functional in sync with the progress of the program:
- Fluid mechanics lab
- Environmental engineering lab
- Transportaion engineering lab
- Hydrology and WRM lab
- Hydraulic engineering lab
- construction engineering & management lab
A total station in and electronic/optical instrument used in modern surveying. The total station is an electronic theodolite (transit) integrated with an electronic distance meter (EDM) to read slope distances from the instrument to a particular point.
GPS, which stands for Global Positioning System, is radio navigation system that allows land, sea, and airborne users to determine their exact location, velocity and time 24 hours a day, in all weather conditions, anywhere in the world. The capabilities of today's system render other well-known navigation and positioning "technologies"-namely the magnetic compass, the sextant, the chronometer, and radio-based devices-impractical and obsolete. GPS is used to support a broad range of military, commercial, and consumer applications.