Doctor of Pharmacy
Introduction: Pharmacy is a profession which enables its practitioners to be involved in a multifaceted service of humanity; starting right from innovation of a new drug candidate to the patient care. Pharmacy is a profession concerned with the art and science of preparing medicine to be used in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the diseases. A pharmacist has to have the knowledge of identification, selection, isolation, analysis, standardization, pharmacological and therapeutic actions and safe uses of drugs and medicines. Any healthcare team is incomplete without their services.
Doctor of Pharmacy: The Department of Pharmacy offers five years Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program. The university has built infrastructure including spacious lecture halls equipped with the latest audio visual aids and well equipped labs to support students of this department for their practical work. Highly qualified faculty members are present for the teaching and preparing the students to become the pharmacists with sense of social and professional responsibility. State of the art library and other facilities are available at the campus. Formal launch of the program has been granted by Pharmacy Council of Pakistan.
Vision:To achieve and maintain national recognition for exceptional pharmacy education from drug discovery to patient-centered care and innovative research.
Mission: To prepare doctor of pharmacy graduates who enter into the profession prepared for current professional practices in a variety of core settings through a high quality contemporary curriculum emphasizing quality education, practical skills and research to cater for the needs for competent professionals locally and globally.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
The Pharm-D program aims to prepare graduates who are expected to:
- Demonstrate excellence in profession through in depth knowledge and skills as pharmacists in health care systems, pharmacy practice, industry, regulation, academia and research and development.
- Demonstrate the strong ethical and professional values, communication, interpersonal and social skills and self-improvement.
- Engage in continuous professional development and lifelong learning.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
The Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) program prepares graduates who, upon graduation, are expected to:
- Professional Skills. Provide professional services in various fields of the profession like clinical, hospital, community, drug regulation, industry, academia and research and development.
- Pharmaceutical care. Design, implement, evaluate, and modify patient-specific, pharmaceutical care plans in cooperation with patients and other health care team members in accordance with established standards of practice.
- Design and Development. Identify physicochemical properties of drug substances that affect solubility, pharmacokinetic properties, pharmacologic actions, and stability to design, develop and analyze dosage forms and drug delivery systems.
- Distribution and Storage. Participate in and manage the systems for distribution, storage, retail sale and dispensing of sterile and non-sterile medications and associated medical products.
- Drug Interactions. Prevent, minimize or predict drug interactions, adverse effects and contraindications associated with the care plan.
- Care Plan Outcomes. Provide patient-centered care and population-base care by disease state management and safe usage of medication to optimize care plan outcomes.
- Health Information. Provide health care information regarding lifestyle, medication and other non-drug measures that promote health or prevent the progression of a disease or medical condition.
- Problem Analysis.Identify and analyze complex pharmaceutical and health related problems reaching substantial conclusion using the principles of basic medical, pharmaceutical and related sciences.
- Management Skills. Apply pharmaceutical management principles to set up and manage pharmaceutical projects from start to end as a team member or as a leader.
- Communication Skills. Demonstrate effective interpersonal, oral and written communications skills as a team member as well as individually to interact with health care professionals, patients and stakeholders.
- Ethics. A commitment to apply ethical principles, professional ethics, responsibilities, norms and comply with the laws of pharmaceutical practice.
- Lifelong Learning. Recognize importance of, and pursue, lifelong learning and further the body of knowledge in the broader context of development of the profession.
- To keep pace with the advancements in the modern sciences.
- To prepare the students to fulfill the industrial needs well versed with the basic medical and pharmaceutical sciences in order to prepare a dosage regimen for an individual patient.
- To undertake a comprehensive community pharmacy practice.
- Internships in various disciplines of pharmacy to enable students to have hands on experience.
- To make our graduates more skillful, competitive and knowledgeable both practically and theoretically.
- To cater the local and international pharmacy needs.
- To make a health care practitioner who is expert in the use of medicine in all practical fields and are capable of disease state management specially to improve public health at large.
- To prepare pharmacy graduates for better pharmacy practice in areas including clinical, community, hospital and industrial pharmacy.
- To prepare graduates who, upon graduation, have the capacity, knowledge and capability to;
- 9.1 Enhance patient safety by safe medication usage in community and health care systems
- 9.2 Work in the pharmaceutical industry and its quality systems
- 9.3 Engage in academics and research i.e. practice and academics.
- 9.4 Prepare students as good human beings in serving the community i.e. ethics, communication skills, writing skills,behavior.
- 9.5 Become an effective member of health care team as well as society.